March is traditionally thought of as a green month, given St Patrick’s Day and spring coming soon, but greens are not always our favorite or easiest thing to eat. Given that kale, spinach, chard, and other greens provide a wide spectrum of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A and K, iron, magnesium, potassium, and folate and other B vitamins, it’s time to cycle them into our daily routine. Read below for some helpful tips on easy ways to eat more.
- Add to your smoothie – Add spinach or kale to your smoothies. Whether making a green smoothie or adding to your fruit and protein, a little green adds a lot of nutrition without affecting the flavor much.
- Add a small salad to every meal – No matter what you cook for dinner, throw together a quick salad with spinach, kale, mixed greens, broccoli, nuts and your favorite dressing. When dining out, ask for a small house salad. You’ll start your meal off right and get some greens in too.
- Add to your breakfast – Spinach or bell pepper can be added to your morning scrambled eggs or omelet.
- Top your pizza – Whether making your own or heating up a frozen pizza, throw some spinach on top.
- Swap bread for lettuce – Make any sandwich into a lettuce wrap.
- Buy bagged – If rushed for time, buying bagged greens can reduce the time it would take to wash and chop.
What is your favorite way to add some extra greens in during the day?